Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Times They Are A-Changin' . . .

I'm straying somewhat from the topic of liturgical music, but I wanted to share an experience with our readers (both of you:)

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I protested at an abortion clinic. A Planned Parenthood opened within the last six months a couple of towns over and the pro-life ministries in our area have worked very hard to let them know that they are not welcome here. A worthy cause, no doubt.

Anyway, not long ago, my wife and I had a discussion about moral convictions in general, and abortion in particular. Though both of us are vigorously pro-life, we realized that we had done many little things to help the cause (dialoguing with pro-choice friends, writing letter to representatives, donating to pro-life causes, etc.) but only once had we ever really done a big
thing to further the pro-life movement. And when I say a big thing, I mean doing something where you really had to ante-up and be a public witness--like protesting at a clinic.


Once before, we both had participated in a "life-chain" along a busy street, holding up signs and praying; you know the drill. And I must admit, I realized how big a wuss I am when it comes to something like that. Though I knew I was doing God's work, it was very uncomfortable for me the entire time. I got through it but I wasn't exactly running down to the nearest abortion clinic every Saturday morning after that.

So I received an e-mail recently about a planned demonstration, and, not having any good excuses on-hand, I decided to grow a pair and let my voice be heard.

I arrived just a bit late so the event was in full swing by the time I got there. I walked up to the organizer, introduced myself, and was immediately handed a gruesome sign of an aborted baby head with the jaw ripped off. The slogan said, "Choice is . . . abortion."

I hesitated for just a moment, but grabbed it anyways. I must say that about a year ago, I would have been totally against this recent trend of showing these terrible signs to drivers and their children as they head to McDonald's for a Saturday morning treat. But I've since been convinced that this is a very effective tactic in exposing the horrors of the abortion holocaust. So, with my newfound resolve to put my money where my mouth is, I headed off to my spot, sign in hand.

The next 2 hours were difficult to say the least, but also encouraging. There were about 70 protesters approximately, as well as a handful of pro-choicers mixed within our ranks to break up the monopoly on the street that we otherwise would have had. Now I don't mind a little healthy competition and I can appreciate the determination the other side has to stand up for what they believe in (misguided as it may be); but I don't have much respect or tolerance for what one pro-choicer did.

Intentionally planting himself in the middle of our group, he held up a sign that read, "Keep Murder Legal." After my initial confusion, I became somewhat angered at this gentleman's tactic. Wanting to paint our side as the extremists that some peg us to be, his intention was to deliberately give drivers the impression that not only did we want to remove a woman's "right" to her body, but that we wanted to "keep murder legal." Apparently the gentleman didn't realize that the only legalized murder in our great country is that of abortion (with a bit of euthanasia thrown in). Again, I don't mind people around wanting to present the other side of the issue . . . but for pete's sake, have some integrity.

The most difficult thing for me was actually having to look at the signs we were holding up on both sides of the street. Seeing pictures of children the same size as my own still in utero that were burned, missing limbs, etc. definitely had the desired effect on me. I was almost brought to tears thinking about the number of lives lost every day so that women won't be "inconvenienced." Absolutely heartbreaking.

Many positives though. First off, I noticed that a few of the pro-choicers were speaking with a women from our side for the better part of an hour. Maybe some of their flaws in logic were exposed by the woman's witness and maybe they'll return home with a few more things to think about. Also, I was encouraged by the number of people that honked and waved to show their support for what we were doing, versus only 2-3 middle fingers over the course of the 2 hours. Already a better percentage than what I experienced only 6 months ago in October during the life chain.

And that brings me finally to the title of this post; you could absolutely feel something in the (cold) air that morning: the winds of change making their way across the country, after so many years of disappointment. So many of the people that were there in our group were young folks, lots of elementary school and teenage girls with a few high school boys to boot. Many of the folks giving us the thumbs-up and honking their horns were people from my generation (mid-20's). I believe that this country is realizing that we've slaughtered a third of the past couple of generations and we have seen the dire effects on our families, our women, and our society.

Keep praying for an end to this intolerable offense against God. Lead the way, South Dakota!

2 Comments:

At Monday, April 03, 2006 7:12:00 PM, Blogger Cantor said...

I want this post to have some commentary...even if it can only be a simple kudos to someone I’m proud to call my friend. :)

I regret that I haven’t prayed at an abortion mill since college. It is gut-wrenching stuff emotionally and spiritually.

I can understand why, even in misguided conscience, someone would say condoms are a good thing. I can understand why people get upset with each other and say and do things that demean the God in whose image and likeness they are made. I can even understand why someone would think euthanasia is a good idea.

But I will never, never understand why, or how, someone could ask another human being to kill their own child.

 
At Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Shiela Logminas' interview on Relevant Radio (www. relevantradio.com), many abortions occur without the mother taking part in all the decisions. While the South Dakota legislation does not ban all abortions, it makes great strides to leave the ultimate decision to the mother, rather than to the abortionists who have coaxed women into abortion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home