Wednesday, August 23, 2006

20th Sunday in OT

Well, I'm finally in a position in which I'm not somewhat ashamed to post my music selections for the week :) Here's what we had last week:

20 OT--B

Entrance: Behold, O God (Tietze-Introit Hymns)

Kyrie: Community Mass (Proulx)

Gloria: Community Mass (Proulx)

Resp. Psalm: Ps. 34 (Gelineau)

Gospel Acclamation: chant Alleluia

Offertory: Panis Angelicus (Franck)

Sanctus: Community Mass (Proulx)

Memorial Acclamation: A Festival Eucharist (Proulx)

Amen: A Festival Eucharist (Proulx)

Our Father: chant

Agnus Dei: A Community Mass (Proulx)

Communion: Qui Manducat (Graduale Romanum)

Hymn of Thanksgiving: At That First Eucharist

Recessional: Now Thank We All Our God


Notes: I've inherited the Community Mass/Festival Eucharist mix. They've been doing this combo for about as long as I've been alive . . . change must come sloooowly, as I learned in my previous position. Also, since it was technically the first time I met my choir, I had the cantor do the Communion chant. Unfortunately, he did the Introit chant! When I asked him about it, he stated that the previous director had asked him to do the Introits for communion since they were lengthier. Just lets you know you can't take anything for granted . . .

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you might know this. Are the Grail/Gelineau Lectionary Psalms for only one voice or are there choral settings?

moconnor

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:34:00 PM, Blogger Cantor said...

I believe the idea is to sing them unison.

You could write choral refrains, though, and have the singers sing the verses in parts. (This would entail buying enough books for the choir, of course.)

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I just didn't know if they had choral refrains. I prefer to have the cantor sing the verses and the choir sing the refrains in parts. Guess I'll stick with Respond and Acclaim for now.

moconnor

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:36:00 AM, Blogger Cantor said...

The refrains in Grail/Gelineau are indeed written such that they can be done in 4-voice choral harmony.

I’m a fan of unison singing whenever the congregation sings, saving rehearsal time for the choir-only music. Michael, what do you think? This is something I started doing only recently, so I’m still going back and forth on it.

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:37:00 AM, Blogger Cantor said...

(For God’s sake, you can do better than Respond & Acclaim!) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home