Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Good stuff: Saint-Saëns Requiem

Check it out on CPDL.

Very different in character from the more popular Mozart and Fauré settings, this one strikes me as being overtly liturgical. The choral parts are easy, yet there is plenty of musical interest (check out the “Tuba mirum”). No brass or timpani are in the scoring (according to Kalmus online, anyway).

I’d love to see this one get done more often. If there is a case to be made for use of full liturgical Requiem settings, I think Saint-Saëns is a much better example with which to argue than Berlioz, Mozart, Fauré, or Verdi.

Duruflé - not sure here. ISTM this is kind of a hybrid liturgical/concert setting.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 01, 2007 1:42:00 PM, Blogger Dad29 said...

Thanks for the link!!

Actually, it solved a big problem for a friend of mine...and I'll keep that link handy for my use.

 
At Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many of the post-baroque Requiem settings say more about the composer than the deceased, I'm afraid. Maybe for state funerals or more public things, but I'd prefer Victoria, Guerrero, Magalhaes, La Rue, or a chanted Requiem. The biggest I could see is the Biber (which is exquisite!).

 
At Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many years ago, I learned and taught the Saint-Saëns Ave Verum Corpus to my choir. It was a huge and pleasant surprise to them. I found the whole setting infused with a sensibility of prayer.

Todd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home