Friday, March 10, 2006

not ANOTHER change to the Lectionary!!

http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Newsletter/Feb06.html

Does having readings in English mean everything's going to have to be republished every 10 years??? I just bought a study lectionary for my office, and I've been writing various psalm settings. Now I'm going to have to redo them all???

They say they're using the NRSV as the basis.....presumably this will result in "NRSV, Catholic Edition", with the gender-neutral language discarded in favor of more literal translations. This should be a good thing; the linguistic shortcomings of the NAB have been a subject of lament.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 1:08:00 PM, Blogger Daniel Muller said...

But this does not affect us in the U.S. As long as the NAB is the -- jealously guarded! -- intellectual property of the U.S. bishops, it is unlikely that there will be any change here that is not a revision of this translation.

(It used to be so wonderful to hear the RSV lectionary when it was allowed. To my knowledge, I never heard the Jerusalem Bible used at Mass, but I would not be surprised if it was used in high school, as that was the translation that we used in class.)

 
At Friday, March 17, 2006 8:21:00 AM, Blogger Cantor said...

That's a good point.

I personally don't care for the NAB. If it's more accurate, then great, but it's just ugly in spots. That's one reason I'm following James Biery's lead in using the Grail psalm translation (original) when I write Communion Propers.

 
At Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:00:00 PM, Blogger Daniel Muller said...

it's just ugly in spots.

Amen. And they are pretty big spots, too!

Actually, I wish that I had saved the reference, but a few days ago I read a comment by a priest that quoted a completely erroneous sentence that said exactly the opposite of what it wanted to. I believe it substituted "self-assurance" for "assurance."

(original)

Thanks for the clarification! And when are you publishing your Communion propers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home