Wednesday, September 19, 2007

24 OT-- Year C

24 OT--C

Processional: Tietze Introit

Psalm: Gelineau

Offertory: I Will Arise (Creighton)

Communion: Dico Vobis w/Viadana fauxbourdon

Recessional: Praise to the Lord, the Almighty


I spent a lot of time putting the assigned Tietze text into WINCHESTER NEW (On Jordan's Bank) since I wasn't thrilled with the melody in the book (don't have the melody name in front of me). Unfortunately, I gaffed and put last week's melody in the worship aid so all the work was for naught. Is a Proper text still preferred when it's a week late? : )

The Creighton is nice, though not earth-shattering. It's the only piece I've come across by this composer; he lived in the midst of the Baroque period, but this setting has a "stile antico" feel about it. Very appropriate for the Sunday as the text is lifted right out of the Gospel. Choir did a nice job with it.

It was a relief to have Dico Vobis assigned for this Sunday (text also from the Gospel). The first three Communios we've done with the choir have been long and tricky. Dico was a good one to break in our new members, all unfamiliar with chant notation. We gave it a run alternating between the genders and I was pleased overall. I'm digging the fauxbourdon at the end as well; gives it a little "spice", if you will. : )

1 Comments:

At Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any tips in how to write up a fauxbordon?

-Gavin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home