Thursday, December 20, 2007

grr....cheesy pop wedding songs....

I have a bride who asked if her aunt could sing “The Twelfth of Never” as a prelude to the wedding.

Go ahead and click on that link, but the second line of the text, “I need you, oh my darling, like roses need rain”, pretty much sums it all up.

I told her it’s purely secular and is thus better at the reception, but I can check “up the chain”. She asked me to do so and told me that it was sung as the prelude at her parents’ wedding in a Catholic church.

Ugh. Again, the “but this other church let us do it” tag. It wouldn’t be kosher, but I really wish I could reply that “some churches apparently just don’t care.”

At this point I am deferring to the liturgy director and the pastor. I’d be really surprised if they didn’t agree with me, but I always hate these kinds of quibbles.

The other question is, why do we even have to go through this? Can we please, pretty-please start telling these people to get married at a JoP if the Church is something they’d rather minimize in their wedding? (I know, we can’t and shouldn’t anyway, but yeesh....)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Jeffrey Tucker said...

wow, here is Elvis singing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUb11zXrmVM

 
At Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:07:00 PM, Blogger Mara Joy said...

this wouldn't even be an issue if people had ANY concept of the separation of the sacred and the secular. But they don't. And it's not necessarily their fault, yet we're stuck being the ones trying to explain to them in a brief conversation things that they should have been experiencing for all of their lives!
Giving an alternate, as in suggesting to them how nice it would be to use at the reception, usually helps soften the blow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home