Saturday, April 19, 2008

Easter 2, 3, and 4

Easter 2--Year A

Processional: As Newborn Infants Long for Milk (ST. ANNE) (Tietze Introit hymn

Sprinkling Rite: Springs of Water (By Flowing Waters)

Sequence: Victimae (chant)

Gospel Acclamation: O FILII ET FILIAE w/choral verse

Offertory: The Strife is O'er (composer escapes me at this point . . . arrangement from New Oxford Church Book)

Communion: Mitte manum w/Viadana fauxbourdon

Recessional: Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today


Between the Introit hymn harmonization (we sing the Doxology acappella each week), the Sequence, the GA verse, the Offertory anthem, and the Communio, we had five choral-only items to get ready in only one rehearsal (they just returned from spring break). It was a bit of a stretch so I deliberately scaled things back the next week.

Mass itself was wonderful. We didn't get to go all out for Easter 1 since the choir was mostly gone, so I hired a trumpet for this week and took things up a notch. We had most of the choir present and the choral sound was better than the average Sunday.


Easter 3--Year A

Processional: Tietze Introit Hymn (LASST UNS ERFREUN)

Offertory: Lauda Anima (arr. Praying Twice)

Communion: Surrexit (chant) w/Viadan fauxbourdon

Recessional: Draw us in the Spirit's Tether


Last year, I posted this (see item number three), relaying an experience I had at last year's Colloquium. The Lauda Anima of this week is a piece I composed as a result of that particular situation and the thought-process that followed. Basically, I took the chant from the Graduale and set it polyphonically with the chant line rhythmically unaltered. It is without meter, and therefore, the hardest part was nailing entrances from the choir (and the fact that I didn't know how to conduct it!). I want to revise it further, but it turned out fairly well, actually.


Easter 4--Year A

Processional: (Hmm. Can't remember . . . I must be getting old. : )

Offertory: This Joyful Eastertide (arr. William Harris)

Communion: Ego sum pastor w/Viadana fauxbourdon

Recessional: Christ the Lord is Ris'n Today


The Harris setting is very nice. Good part-writing, nice variety of textures and moods, thrilling organ accompaniment . . . well worth the time to prepare it. This weekend and last, we had all but one of our active members present. It's a pipe dream of mine to have my whole choir together some time for Mass . . . I don't think it's happened in my two years here! Anyways, they sounded wonderful both weeks; it sure does help to have a healthy balance between the sections . . .

5 Comments:

At Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:02:00 PM, Blogger Fr Martin Fox said...

The Sequence every Sunday?

 
At Saturday, April 19, 2008 9:29:00 PM, Blogger Praying Twice said...

No, just in the Octave itself. I'm pretty sure that that is what the rubrics require . . .

 
At Saturday, April 19, 2008 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Cantor said...

I have recently come to the conclusion that “within the Octave, inclusive” does not include the 2nd Sunday of Easter.

This is the only explanation, IMO, for why no liturgical book makes reference to a sequence on that day.

 
At Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:52:00 PM, Blogger Praying Twice said...

Hmm. It seems that "inclusive" would include the eighth day of an Octave.

I do know that a deacon approached me once at my old parish right before a Mass for Easter 2 and told me that his ordo (for a large archdiocese) mentioned a sequence for that day. But yes, you're right, it seems that many other sources don't mention it.

Maybe start a post over at the CMAA forums?

 
At Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:46:00 PM, Blogger Fr Martin Fox said...

We did the Sequence for both Easter and 2nd Easter.

I think it would be fine to use the Sequence after that--but not at that point; would it be so wrong to use it as an offertory?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home