Friday, March 09, 2007

Lenten anthems at my parish

Hi all,

I don’t have the liberty that PT has insofar as ability to use choir-only chants for entrance etc., but I did want to post the list of anthems (sung at offertory) that my parish’s church choir is working on this Lent:

Ash Wednesday: Atwood “Turn Thy face from my sins”
1st Lent: Lotti “Miserere” (PT stole my idea!)
2nd Lent: Farrant “Hide not Thou Thy face from us”
3rd Lent: Farrant (attr.) “Lord, for Thy tender mercies’ sake”
4th Lent: J. Varley Roberts “Seek ye the Lord”
5th Lent: Byrd “I have longed for Thy saving health”
6th Lent: Rossini choral setting of the proper offertory (“Improperium”)

A notable feature here is that all of these except Atwood (which I didn’t really plan; I was brand new in the job at that time) and Roberts are a cappella. This is somewhat by design, as 4th Lent is Lætare Sunday, and a time when a bit more instrumentation is appropriate.

Triduum choral music will be forthcoming.

2 Comments:

At Friday, March 09, 2007 5:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm...isn't "6th Lent" also known as Palm Sunday, and usually referred to thus? :)

Looks like a fun line-up, sir.

 
At Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:26:00 PM, Blogger Scelata said...

Very nice, VERY nice....

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home