Thursday, October 11, 2007

27 OT--Year C

Processional: Introit Hymn (Tietze)

Offertory: Ave Maria (Arcadelt)

Communion: In Salutari w/Viadana fauxbourdon

Recessional: Sing of Mary


Well, I'm always looking for excuses to explore the vast Marian choral repertoire, and the month of October (Month of the Holy Rosary) is a decent one. We'll be doing Marian stuff throughout the next few weeks.

The choir is growing steadily it seems; added another soprano and another bass this past week. In a perfect world where everyone was present for at least one week, this is what I'd have:

6 sopranos
3 altos
2 tenors
9(!) basses

The two tenors seems inadequate, but I have one who is fantastic and can carry the section by himself. I wouldn't be sad if I could add one or two more altos, as 2 of the current ones are not true altos. The nine basses seem to be a blessing, though we have nine very different voices, and making them blend/sing in-tune consistently has been tricky. This is the section with the least experience with choral singing in general.

The Arcadelt went well; I bumped it up a half-step for tuning purposes and the sopranos handled the higher tessitura admirably. It's a lovely piece . . . clearly, it seems that Biebl had it somewhat in mind when composing his own setting of the text. Turns out this piece originally had a madrigal text to it . . . hmm.

The chant was fine, despite a couple conducting blunders on my part. Keeps me humble.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:32:00 PM, Blogger ScholarChanter said...

Greetings, PT and Cantor (and readers)

In my new residence, I once visited the Cathedral to sing, because I thought "hey, they must sing more advanced stuff than in your usual parish!" The cathedral in my town (now a large city on the Eastern seaboard U.S.), only the hired section leaders sing the choral introits, entrance antiphons, etc. much to my disappointment. Unfortunately, the choir is only ~10 people, and for various reasons, I decided not to stay after 1 sunday. Now I attend a local parish that actually has a music director AND a separate organist! Unfortunately, I am now only 1 of 2 men (with 10 women). I can't say that I like the program a whole lot, because the choir does not serve the liturgy too well: the congregation is not invited to sing the offertory or the recessional. We sing Grail/Gelineau psalms, and a "contemporary" communion hymn, and also do two choral pieces per week: 1 at offertory and one after communion hymn. (ex. choral octavos of Haas/Haugen, SAB editions of more "classical" pieces, etc.)

We have hymnals, but we use printed worship aids. I am not sure why. The music director sings really well. He says he is a baritone, but he may be a dramatic tenor? He cantors everything, but I may fill in for him slowly.

A local Jesuit college parish has a music program reminiscent of mid 1990's Newman Center that I attended, (with Gather II).

A local basilica is trying to start a 4-voice schola, and right now there are two of us who are interested.

Anyway, just an update on parish life here - there are so many parishes around, and I actually found one where everyone likes to sing. I was rather amazed. But no, this is not the parish I am attending.

 
At Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Cantor said...

SC - shoot me an email. I have forgotten where you are recently landed, but delighted to hear from you. I know that I currently am somewhere near where you were sometime back, but I think we are again a good ways from each other.

 
At Friday, October 19, 2007 5:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PT, may I suggest Francisco Guerrero's Ave virgo sanctissima a 5, one of the most famous pieces of the Renaissance. Victoria's Ave Maria a 8 is fabulous as is Ceballos's Quasi cedrus.

 
At Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PT,

I'm interested in the Viadana fauxbourdon setting that you used. Is it published or did you arrange it yourself?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home