Sunday, September 30, 2007

Will I still be able to do this one?

So, with the talk about regulating liturgical texts....

Generally, I think this will be a good thing, ensuring that all texts proclaimed in the Mass have gone through some approval process for theological conformity with the faith.

I have to wonder, though, will I still be able to do Farrant “Lord, For Thy Tender Mercies’ Sake”?

What about Telemann “Laudate Jehovam”, whose Latin text appears not to stem from any liturgical source?

4 Comments:

At Monday, October 01, 2007 11:19:00 AM, Blogger HilbertAstronaut said...

Telemann's text looks so much like a Psalm text that you could probably fake someone out by claiming it's an alternate translation ;-)

I would say there's also a "approved by popular tradition" case, sort of like how saints used to be made.

Understand, though, that the real way this is going to be used is to make life hard for music directors -- regardless of whether their tastes are traditional or modern... ;-P

 
At Monday, October 01, 2007 11:22:00 AM, Blogger HilbertAstronaut said...

Hm, the Farrant looks like a BCP text, no? You might go through the "Anglican use" people to see if the text has been approved...

 
At Monday, October 01, 2007 11:13:00 PM, Blogger Cantor said...

Hilbert,

I think the Telemann is Psalm 117, in some wacky Latin translation. I thought maybe it was a liturgical translation that, like “Sicut cervus”, predates Jerome, but I didn’t find it anywhere in the Graduale. (Didn’t check the LU.)

The Farrant is, I believe, a prose text; another edition, as I recall, gives an author of the text.

 
At Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:47:00 AM, Blogger Scelata said...

I should probably post anonymously so that purists don't heap scorn upon my head, but I have no problem taking great (public domain) sacred music and setting other, liturgical texts...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home